[MG] RG

Michal Štěpánek agora.ekklesia at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 11:06:49 EST 2016

Hi,

I have made some changes, see the link again please. Reading the abstract may be enough ( 80 words).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jjQ46EYr9bWSF30RAaEn0p_lvyLGxyAXigTZrWKxQa8/edit?usp=sharing

cheers
m.

---- On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 20:27:08 +0100Scott Raney <metamerman at gmail.com> wrote ----

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Patrick Millerd <mrpdublin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Been thinking about a quick fix for a metric of goodness on proposals. One
> of the main fears of DD is that of tyranny of majority, subjugating minority
> groups/individuals to measures they reject.

I dispute that, unless the "minority" you're referring to are the very
elites who have taken control of our misrepresentative democracies.
Sure, some people have been brainwashed into thinking that it's racial
and religious minorities our misrepresentative democracies are
protecting, but frankly I have to conclude that those people aren't
even paying attention. Once they start to gain power and learn how to
wield it this misplaced fear of DD will simply evaporate, at least for
most of us...

> The way to mitigate this problem
> is to have a blanket rule that any proposal will have to apply to everyone.
> Therefore any attempt to marginalise a group would need to marginalise every
> group, thus making it less likely to pass. A group would be defined as any
> race, country, religion or company (restrictions incurred would need to
> apply to the industry as a whole). I assume there must be faults in this
> type of thinking but as of yet, I can't come up with any good examples.
> Prove me wrong.

It kind of glosses over the issue of pre-existing conditions. For
example, Boulder's new soda tax, passed by referendum (i.e., DD) has
been called "racist" because it supposedly discriminates against the
poor, who even here in lily-white Boulder are primarily non-white.
Unless you somehow arrange to have more-or-less equal starting
positions (something my matchism proposal attempts, but which is not a
characteristic of any other proposal outside of science fiction), it's
impossible to equalize the effects of the discrimination.

But IMHO you're barking up the wrong tree: It's *exactly* the rich and
powerful "minority" that The People will start to discriminate against
when given the ability. Look to the various communist revolutions as
examples. This is not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but
safeguards (especially information dissemination about when to stop
"equalizing") need to be put into place to prevent a repeat of the
communist fiascos...
Regards,
Scott