[MG] New open source UI diagrams for a federated, comprehensive govt monitoring tool

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun May 26 18:57:20 EDT 2013

Mitch Downey said:
> ... Could I say you are advocating for all of our votes (and
> opinions?) to be made publicly accessible, and in compatible
> machine-processible formats? ...

Partly.  I want to enable public opinion and I think it needs formal
support, including a special kind of voting (primary).  But I see no
need to change the electoral system (secret ballot) or other state
institutions.  They were designed to be faithful to public opinion.
The only problem I see (thanks to Habermas) is that public opinion
collapsed in the late 1800s.  I think we just need to strengthen it.

> ... everyday people <http://i.imgur.com/I5X20xG.png> would have our
> own profile in [EveryVote]. Maybe they could have the ability to
> opt-in to have their profile data feed into the Metagov vote sharing
> system?

Yes, though it's maybe too early to understand what it might mean in
practice.  There are no clear e-dem practices yet.  It's all in flux.

Looking at Sarah Moore's page, what does "Total votes declared" mean?
http://i.imgur.com/I5X20xG.png

> Also the EveryVote home page has been updated as of last night. I
> think the design and content is substantially improved. If you have
> a minute, please check out www.everyvote.org to see the changes, ...

http://www.everyvote.org/

It has handy navigation links, which is good.  But the first question
on the new visitor's mind is, "What is EveryVote?"  The answer seems
to be in the slide caption, but it's obscure and difficult to read.
Douglass's striking portrait the first thing to catch the eye, and the
caption is almost the last (at least for me).

> ... especially the OpenGov Federation post
> <http://www.everyvote.org/opengovfed/>. I am not very technical and
> not an expert, so if I say anything inaccurate, your comments and
> corrections would be appreciated.

I'm unfamiliar with open government apps, so I shouldn't comment on
the specifics.  Generally if the information is public and under no
copyright restrictions, then an open federation should be unstoppable.
But to get it started in the first place you need two platforms that
are willing to cooperate, or one that is willing to get aggressive.
(Same for a vote mirroring inter-network.)

Mike