[MG] New open source UI diagrams for a federated, comprehensive govt monitoring tool

Mitch Downey mitch at everyvote.org
Thu May 23 15:50:52 EDT 2013

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the follow up. I think your work is clearer to me now. Could I
say you are advocating for all of our votes (and opinions?) to be made
publicly accessible, and in compatible machine-processible formats? If yes,
I definitely support that goal, and would like to support the culture shift
needed for everyday people to voluntarily move in that direction.

EveryVote's focus is on government monitoring and not elected officials,
but everyday people <http://i.imgur.com/I5X20xG.png> would have our own
profile in the system. Maybe they could have the ability to opt-in to have
their profile data feed into the Metagov vote sharing system?

I would not want to force everyday people to make their votes/opinions
publicly accessible (although I am open to forcing elected officials and
candidates by law to do so), but I would like to encourage them to move in
that direction. I think we are all wiser when we have the ability to pool
our information together as easily as possible, and furthermore that we
everyday people need to demonstrate and serve as role models for the
transparency we want to see from our government officials.

In other news, EveryVote is the P2P Foundation's featured project of the
day.

Post:
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/project-of-the-day-everyvote-org/2013/05/23

Twitter post: https://twitter.com/everyvoteorg/status/337640478763802625

Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/EveryVote/posts/367682566664958

Also the EveryVote home page has been updated as of last night. I think the
design and content is substantially improved. If you have a minute, please
check out www.everyvote.org to see the changes, especially the OpenGov
Federation post <http://www.everyvote.org/opengovfed/>. I am not very
technical and not an expert, so if I say anything inaccurate, your comments
and corrections would be appreciated.

All the best,
Mitch

--