[MG] New open source UI diagrams for a federated, comprehensive govt monitoring tool

Mitch Downey mitch at everyvote.org
Wed May 15 14:39:15 EDT 2013

Hi Michael,

Thanks for letting me know. Hmm...I have no idea why that is happening. The
links work in Google Chrome 26 for me, and they are standard
imgur.comlinks, so I would think they should work in previous Chrome
editions. Also,
the links below work in my Firefox version 7...

I am using Windows 7, could this be a Linux related issue?

In any case, I think you should be able to scroll through the images in the
imgur album by clicking along the images on the top of the page. (
http://imgur.com/a/iha6o#0)

The Activity Tracker is just meant to help people realize a federated
newsfeed, that would aggregate all of our social network activity into one
newsfeed, is possible (others have done it), and that it would be valuable
for tracking the public activity of our elected representatives and
candidates.

Since we don't have the manpower/money to implement all of the tools in the
design diagrams, the point of making and sharing them is to help average
folks imagine these tools, so they start to want them, so they start to
support #opengov, so this industry can finally attract the manpower/funding
it needs to thrive.

The diagrams received very encouraging support on the PoliticalDiscussions
reddit (
http://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalDiscussion/comments/1e8buh/its_2013_shouldnt_we_be_able_to_contact_all_of/).
I responded to about 30 comments throughout that discussion.

I think there's latent potential for government monitoring tools to take
off in the public imagination. Whenever I tell people "learn about and
contact all of your candidates and officials on a single web page," they
say "of course I want that", and/or "you mean we don't have that already?"
I think we need to keep chipping away and passing on memes so they become a
national (well, global) priority. Furthermore, I think we need to clearly
express how these tools should be most ethically provided, so they are not
proprietized and/or manipulated for exploitation.

#opengovfed link should take you to this image (
http://i.imgur.com/uHzBOBV.png). I am thinking of OpenGov Federation and
the hashtag #opengovfed as a tentative name for a voluntary collaboration
of government monitoring tools to make their tools federation-compatible
(allow users to easily transfer or sync their data between 'competing' govt
monitoring tools in a compatible format), settle on the open standards
necessary to do so. Discussion of Metagov's vote sharing would certainly
belong there too, although as I understand it vote sharing as you describe
it is not quite federation as I am conceiving it. I bought
opengovfed.comand .org. If I can get a window of time this next week
I'll try to at least
setup a forum there.

Btw, a meme-like advocacy for federation I've been using (that I believe is
true) is that federation is what's best for our *freedom*, *convenience*,
and *capacity for innovation*.

Here's the download link for the zipped UI diagrams in case you have
trouble accessing them on imgur (http://s.imgur.com/a/iha6o/zip)

Sorry for the scattered email, I'm really ridiculously busy right now as I
just graduated and I'm trying to land a job to keep up with rent :/

All the best,
Mitch

--
Mitch Downey <https://twitter.com/mdowney84>