[MG] Crowdsourcing the History of eDemocracy

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Sat May 11 10:43:41 EDT 2013

Hi, Pietro. A few notes...

I believe Thomas von der Elbe came up with free range voting: Michael can confirm and give a date.

The Metagov call for a wiki government was a pre-web version. The first web version was March 20, 2007:
http://www.metagovernment.org/archive/2007-03-20/
(the style sheet for that page is lost, apparently).

By May 2, Aur Saraf came up with the idea of using the long-established concept of a DVCS for open source governance:
http://metagovernment.org/pipermail/start_metagovernment.org/2008-May/000187.html
http://metagovernment.org/pipermail/start_metagovernment.org/2008-May/000219.html

Also in May 2008, Manuel Barkhau started work on the code that later became Candiwi. (I can't quite pin down the date, since he moved repos later on, and the old one is defunct.)

At the time, both of those were considered different drafts of Metascore, as you can see on the repositories page:
http://metagovernment.org/wiki/Repositories
(Additional details may be seen in the history of that page.)

On a separate note, you might find some useful historical examples from this page:
http://metagovernment.org/wiki/Good_examples
The page has not been updated in quite a while... which is good for your purposes, as all of this is earlier stuff.