[MG] Spigit

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Tue Jan 25 07:59:55 EST 2011

On Jan 23, 2011, at 12:42 AM, Marcos wrote:

> They have not beaten "us" to market.  Our market is freedom, theirs
> is not.

Just remember that Windows and Mac OS have always had far, far, far
more marketshare than Linux. The reason is exactly what Stallman warns
about: they are easier to use, and people appear willing to give up a
lot of freedom for a little convenience.

I think it is important here to remind people of the thread about our
copyright, and the proposed removal of the NC designation.
http://metagovernment.org/pipermail/start_metagovernment.org/2011-January/003335.html

This sort of company is the reason I thought "Non-Commercial" was a
good addition to our copyright. Does it make sense for us to build
good tools and have some company come along with a few million dollars
and make them look shiny and pretty and suck users into a commercial
system at the cost of the very soul of open governance?

To be honest, I am still a little unclear on why the free content
people are so adamant that free must include commercial use. I am very
willing to listen to arguments for it, but this thread reminds me of
why I was leery of it in the first place.