[MG] Free range voting project

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Fri Jun 25 09:22:12 EDT 2010

Just two short comments now (later more):

Ed Pastore wrote:
> And note that this applies to the e-democracy.org site as well. They
> are doing great work, but they are happy with results like getting
> people more actively engaged in politician's campaigns. It is a
> natural and beneficial thing to do given the limitations of the status
> quo, but I thought most of us were interested in something more akin
> to a revamp of the status quo than a general improvement of it.

Yes, you are right! E-democracy.org seems to be mainly "just" a place
for discussions. But if we combine "their" political discussion with
"our" voting and collaborative drafting, then we have the explosive mix,
right? All 3 ingredients are necesarry.

> Technical question. Aqain. So, I am on this page:
> http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Votespace?p=G!p!mho and it looks like two
> people are voting for me. Am I supposed to be able to vote for myself?
> I don't see how I would do that. Sorry if this is demonstrating some
> major ignorance.

No its not demonstrating ignorance! :-) We had the same discussion. Now
it is like this, that nobody can not vote for himself. If you are an
end-candidate like you, you just keep collecting votes for you position,
but your own vote will not show up in the results. Since it is the same
for all end-candidates it is fair.

I thought of counting every persons vote automatically for his position,
but there is one problem: now everybody can create a position-page for
someone else. I think this is good. But in case it is done poorly, you
would not assume the second persons approval, i.e. vote.

Actually I like your idea of being able to explicitly vote for oneself,
because only this will give the correct count.

Thomas