[MG] Secret Ballots

Kris Dev krisdev at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 06:09:28 EDT 2010

Regarding "It this stage, I think any software should allow administrators
to choose between secret and public voting. Public voting isn't really a
problem with small organization, where the stakes are low"., how would we
know if the Administrator is not coerced?!!

Best is an open system where each one chooses for himself / herself...
ensuring aninymity, if so chosen and yet transparent and accountable....

Kris Dev

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Darwin O Connor <doconnor at reamined.on.ca>wrote:

> On 6/4/2010 3:35 PM, Michael Allan wrote:
>
>> What exactly are you and David talking about?  Please describe how an
>> organization (or individual) would go about coercing the public
>> voters.  What is the first thing this organization will do?  And how
>> will it expect the voters to react?
>>

> Offer to pay individuals $1, $10 or $100 to vote in a certain way, check
> their public vote and pay them.
>
> Or an employer could suggest employees vote a certain way and check their
> public votes to see if they did. If they didn't they could find a reason to
> fire them or otherwise punish them.
>
> Of course doing these things would be against local laws, but that doesn't
> mean it wouldn't happen.
>
> With a secret vote this can't be effectively done because there is no way
> for a third party to verify how anyone actually voted.
>
> It this stage, I think any software should allow administrators to choose
> between secret and public voting. Public voting isn't really a problem with
> small organization, where the stakes are low.

Kris Dev,
President & CEO,
Life Line to Business / Life Line to Citizen,
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
email: krisdev at gmail.com
http://krisdev.wordpress.com/about/
Ph: + 91 98 408 52132 / 1 (206) 274 1635
Twitter: @krisdev

Winner of Innovations Award 2009 for IT Innovation;
Manthan Awardee 2006 for Rural Grass-Root Initiative in Establishing Unique
Biometric Identity for e-Inclusion & Livelihood Creation;
Selected for World Bank Innovation Fair 2010.

Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and
well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing
and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in
the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other
lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control. … Article 25 of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

"A quick evaluation of the progress we have achieved in the last 20 years
shows that in the area of poverty alleviation, we have not done enough.
 History will judge us harshly, unless we seize the opportunity to do more."
- Archbishop Njongo Ndungane, President and Founder, African Monitor.

"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power the World will know
peace." Jimi Hendrix.

Practice is better than precept.