[MG] Secret Ballots

Owen Ambur Owen.Ambur at verizon.net
Wed Jun 2 14:45:24 EDT 2010

It is kinda ironic to see the apparent disagreement on this point on a
listserv that places high value on synthesis.  It also seems to assume a
false either/or choice, when it would seem that both/and should be the
obvious aim, depending upon the wishes of each voter him or herself.

However, for whatever it may be worth, here's Wikipedia's article on the
"Secret Ballot":  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_ballot   See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_check

As one who spent many years on Capitol Hill, I'd also note that while the
votes of Congressmen and Senators are public on the floors of their
respective chambers, their votes for party leadership positions are
conducted in secret.

>From my perspective, the need for secret ballots is painfully obvious in
some instances (perhaps those that matter most, e.g., when disproportionate
power is to be taken from some and granted to others).

Owen